Wednesday 16 March 2016

All Ireland Beer Survey: Data Collected and Data Used

The study first collected data readily available from Beoir: Ireland's craft beer consumers group. Their list qualifies “Irish Micro-breweries” as “produced on the island of Ireland by an Irish company which makes less than 30,000hL per year” (http://www.beoir.org/index.php/craft-beer-directories/a-z-of-ireland-s-beer-cider). This means breweries that were Irish owned at the time such as Franciscan Well is included and breweries that have relocated to Ireland more recently, such as Rye River are excluded. From here a data base was built listing:

  • Brewers Brand name- defined as the label brand of the brewer, in order to include contract brewers who use other breweries facilities to produce their product. Figure 2 lists breweries discovered with those which closed and those for which there was incomplete information noted.
  • Core beers- defined as by the author as “consistently brewed for throughout a year for at least a year” to exclude seasonal and special brews).
  • County- which of the 32 counties of Ireland the brand's business is based.
  • Province- which of the 4 provinces of Ireland the brand's business is based.
  • Beer Style- styles was recorded based on the brands own identification which resulted in 46 styles, these were then aggregated into 11 broader styles (See Figure 1).
  • Start/End- the year a beer became available and the year it was discontinued if so.


3 comments:

  1. Where did the data on the individual beers come from? I assume the single "Lite Lager" is Porterhouse Chiller, but Messrs Maguire also had one, called Yankee, when it opened in 1998.

    BrewEyed didn't really close, by the way, it just changed its name to Bo Bristle. The legal company name is still BrewEyed.

    I take it "Connaught" should be "County" in the heading of figure 2. And no Ulster breweries? Kinnegar and Donegal Brewing should be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to me before I spotted Ulster- they fell off while formatting, fixed now thanks for spotting.

      And from my contact with Bo Bristle and BrewEyed, they seemed to consider themselves apart from the brand, so I considered them as separate 'brands'.

      From the information I had on Yankee I choose to list it as a lager. If I remember right I set the definitions based on Ron Pattison's European Beer guide. Couldn't get anyone at Sweetmans to talk about the old Messrs beers!

      Cheers for the feedback, I am away for the next 10 days, but I will bring this over to the Beoir forum, particularly any dead ends I came to!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the clarifications! I'll leave you alone after pointing out Red Hand is in Tyrone, not Armagh.

      Delete

About Me

My photo
Following and branching from the main themes Poetry, Urbanism and Beer and all the rest, along the way.